LEXINGTON, KY (April 7, 2016) – Keeneland’s Spring Meet offers a wide-ranging calendar of unique special events, featuring such popular fixtures as College Scholarship Day, Sunrise Trackside on Saturday mornings, tailgating on The Hill and the commemorative Maker’s Mark bottle signing, and highlighted by several new features that include Hall of Fame Jockey Day, Milliners Corner and a special Big Apple/Bluegrass Pick 4.
The 2016 Spring Meet kicks off Friday, April 8, with College Scholarship Day, hosted by Keeneland and the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association, that attracts thousands of students from state and regional colleges and universities. Students can register to win one of ten $1,000 scholarships and prizes to be given away following each of the day’s races. This year, a $10,000 Runhappy Scholarship will be given away to one lucky student following the post parade for the 8th race.
Experience the beauty of Keeneland and Thoroughbred racing through two unique experiences: Sunrise Trackside and tailgating on The Hill. Sunrise Trackside and Breakfast With the Works on Saturday mornings provide a family-friendly opportunity to go behind the scenes for morning training and take part in a number of fun activities for kids and adults alike. On Fridays and Saturdays, Keeneland takes the tradition of tailgating to a new level on The Hill, which features local food trucks, a jumbo television screen to catch all the racing action, wagering, bluegrass music on Saturdays and free shuttles to the track.
From classic to couture, the Keeneland Shop’s new Milliners Corner offers a variety of styles to complete any outfit. Milliners featured during the Spring Meet include celebrity designer Christine A. Moore; Louisville designer Jenny Pfanensteil of Forme´ Millinery; and the popular Dorfman Pacific. Milliners Corner is located adjacent to the Walking Ring and open every race day from 9 a.m. until the final race.
Keeneland offers a full menu of wagering options on Toyota Blue Grass Day, Saturday, April 9, headlined by the new Big Apple/Bluegrass Pick 4 Wager. Created by Keeneland and the New York Racing Association, the Big Apple/Bluegrass Pick 4 wager kicks off with the Bay Shore (G3) (4:52 p.m.), followed by the Madison (G1) (5:20 p.m.), Wood Memorial (G1) (5:30 p.m.) and Toyota Blue Grass (6 p.m.).
That day, Keeneland also will feature an All-Stakes Pick 4 Presented by TVG on races 7-10 and an All-Stakes Pick 5 Presented by TVG on races 6-10, both $300,000-guaranteed.
New this Spring will be Hall of Fame Jockey Day at Keeneland on Friday, April 22, during which a number of racing’s history-making jockeys will be honored with special events, autograph signings and appearances at the track. A specially designed poster created by renowned artist Peb will be sold, with all proceeds benefiting the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame and the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
A number of racing’s all-time leading riders and Keeneland fan favorites are scheduled to attend and include Pat Day, four-time Eclipse Award winner and all-time leading rider at Keeneland; five-time Eclipse Award winner Laffit Pincay Jr.; two-time Kentucky Derby winner Chris McCarron; and 1978 Triple Crown winner Steve Cauthen.
This Spring Meet, the Keeneland Kids Club is partnering with The Salvation Army on Kids Club Family Day, Sunday, April 17, to help support local homeless children. The Salvation Army will serve free lemonade in the North Terrace from noon to 3 p.m. as part of its LemonAiD fundraiser to benefit children staying at The Salvation Army Emergency Homeless Shelter in Lexington.
As part of the day, Kids Club members and their families receive free general admission and access to reserved Grandstand seating. Children’s activities include face painting, crafts and more in the North Terrace from noon to 3 p.m. The Keeneland Kids Club, which has more than 6,400 members, is the free Official Kids Club for Keeneland fans 12 and under. Members of the Kids Club will receive a personalized membership pass, birthday card from Buckles, invitations to exclusive Kids Club events and more.
Once again, Keeneland has teamed with the HERO Campaign to promote the use of safe and sober designated drivers. The HERO Campaign will launch Saturday, April 9, at the HERO tent on The Hill where patrons can pledge to be a designated driver. Registrants will receive a “Be a HERO” wristband and a voucher for a free soft drink at any trackside concession stand, and the chance to win additional prizes. Patrons also can sign up for the HERO Campaign at the East and South Gates throughout the race meet. More information is available at Herocampaign.org.
Keeneland 2016 Spring Special Events Calendar
· Fridays, April 8, 15, 22, 29: Friday Pick 4 Presented by TVG: A $200,000-guaranteed pool will be offered on the final four races of the day.
· Fridays and Saturdays: The popular Craft Beer Tent is on the North Terrace patio on Fridays and Saturdays. The special selection of beers will include Blue Stallion, Country Boy, Fat Tire, Kentucky Ale Race Day IPA, Land Shark, Shock Top, Sierra Nevada and Woodchuck Hard Cider.
· Fridays and Saturdays: Keeneland’s hugely popular tailgate lot, The Hill, located adjacent to the Keene Barn & Entertainment Center, will feature local food trucks, a jumbo television screen, wireless wagering and wagering terminals, race-day programs, a Keeneland Shop kiosk and free shuttles to the track. On Saturdays, The Hill will showcase Central Kentucky’s favorite bluegrass bands from 12-4 p.m. BETologists also will be available to answer fans’ questions.
· Friday, April 8: College Scholarship Day attracts thousands of students from colleges and universities in Kentucky and beyond. Admission is free with a college ID. Full-time students can register in the North Terrace to win one of ten $1,000 scholarships and prizes from local vendors awarded after each of the day’s races. A $10,000 Runhappy Scholarship will be given away following the post parade for the 8th race. The first 2,000 students to register will receive a Keeneland College Scholarship Day T-shirt courtesy of Kennedy’s Wildcat Den or a Southern Proper hat.
· Friday, April 8, and Saturday, April 9: Keeneland Shop’s Milliners Corner presents Christine A. Moore Millinery adjacent to the Walking Ring from 9 a.m. to the last race.
· Saturdays, April 9, 16, 23: Itching to experience the sights and sounds of Keeneland in the morning? On Saturdays, Sunrise Trackside, sponsored by LEX18 and Dunkin’ Donuts, offers activities for all ages beginning at 7 a.m. Fans can enjoy Breakfast With the Works, a Southern-style breakfast and trackside commentary while horses train on the main track (until 8:30 a.m.); children’s activities in the Kids Club Corner (7-9 a.m.); Keeneland tours (8-10:30 a.m.); an equine-related demonstration in the Paddock (9 a.m.); a trackside handicapping seminar (11 a.m.); and a Q&A session with a Keeneland jockey in the Paddock (11:35 a.m.). On Saturday, April 23, the handicapping seminar will begin at 11:30 a.m. and the jockey Q&A at 12:05 p.m.
· Saturday, April 9: Big Apple/Bluegrass Pick 4 Wager. Keeneland and the New York Racing Association have created the special Big Apple/Bluegrass Pick 4 wager that includes the Bay Shore (G3), Madison (G1), Wood Memorial (G1) and Toyota Blue Grass (G1).
· Saturday, April 9: Guaranteed $300,000 All-Stakes Pick 4 Presented by TVG challenges patrons to handicap the Commonwealth (G3), Shakertown (G2), Madison and Toyota Blue Grass.
· Saturday, April 9: Guaranteed $300,000 All-Stakes Pick 5 Presented by TVG will be offered on the Central Bank Ashland (G1), Commonwealth, Shakertown, Madison and Toyota Blue Grass.
· Sunday, April 10: The Jockey Autograph Signing presents race fans the opportunity to get autographs of active jockeys from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. adjacent to the Paddock to benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
· Wednesdays, April 13, 20, 27: WINS-day Challenge, a handicapping contest presented by Malone’s and Daily Racing Form takes place Wednesdays. At Wagering Central, contestants can sign up to play for a $10 entry fee, then make a mythical $2 win and place wager on Keeneland races 3 through 8. The contest offers a guaranteed $2,500 pool, and the first 200 participants receive a free Daily Racing Form and a card for a free appetizer at Malone’s.
· Wednesday, April 13: Fans are encouraged to wear pink for Horses and Hope Pink Day to help promote breast cancer awareness. Prior to the races, Jane Beshear and the Kentucky Cancer Program will host a survivor’s luncheon in Keeneland’s Entertainment Center and Keene Barn. Survivors and guests will enjoy lunch and a Derby Fashion Style Show sponsored by Talbots, The Spa at Griffin Gate, Kroger, and WKYT-TV. More information can be found at www.keeneland.com/calendar/horses-and-hope.
· Friday, April 15: The Maker’s Mark commemorative bottle signing takes place in the Keene Barn & Entertainment Center at 7:30 a.m. ET. Bottles go on sale April 8 at retail locations across Kentucky and benefit the University of Kentucky Athletics Association’s Center for Academic and Tutorial Services (CATS). More information on the bottle signing can be found at keeneland.com/calendar/makers-mark-bottle-signing.
· Friday, April 15, and Saturday, April 16: Keeneland Shop’s Milliners Corner presents Christine A. Moore Millinery adjacent to the Walking Ring from 9 a.m. to the last race.
· Saturday, April 16: Guaranteed $200,000 All-Stakes Pick 4 Presented by TVG challenges patrons to handicap the Ben Ali (G3), Giant’s Causeway, Lexington (G3) and Coolmore Jenny Wiley (G1).
· Sunday, April 17: Keeneland’s Kids Club Family Day gives all Kids Club members and their families free general admission and access to reserved Grandstand seating. Children’s activities, include face painting, crafts and more in the North Terrace from noon to 3 p.m. The Salvation Army will provide free lemonade as part of its LemonAiD Days fundraising program that benefits children at The Salvation Army Emergency Homeless Shelter in Lexington.
· Friday, April 22: Hall of Fame Jockey Day at Keeneland honors a number of racing’s all-time leading riders and Keeneland fan favorites during special events, autograph signings and appearances at the track. A specially designed poster created by renowned artist Peb will be sold with all proceeds benefiting the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame and the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
· Friday, April 22, and Saturday, April 23: Keeneland Shop’s Milliners Corner presents Louisville designer Jenny Pfanensteil of Forme´ Millinery adjacent to the Walking Ring from 9 a.m. to the last race.
· Sunday, April 24: On Military Day at the Races Presented by Marathon, Keeneland recognizes the men and women who serve our country. All active and inactive members of the military and their families receive free general admission with a military ID. A Family Zone in the North Terrace from noon to 4 p.m. will feature free food, music and children’s activities.
· Wednesday, April 27 through Friday, April 29: The Keeneland Shop’s Milliners Corner presents Leslie Corea of Dorfman Pacific adjacent to the Walking Ring from 9 a.m. to the last race.
· Thursday, April 28: Herald-Leader Subscriber Day gives Lexington Herald-Leader subscribers free general admission.
Ø Friday, April 29: Keeneland closes the Spring Meet in style with Concert on the Hill, a free concert immediately after the final race with music from Emerson Drive and Sundy Best. Proceeds from the event benefit the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Foundation.
Keeneland 2016 Spring Meet at a Glance
Post time: 1:05 p.m. ET except on Saturday, April 9, and Saturday, April 16, when first post is 12:35 p.m. Gates open at 11 a.m. No racing on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Admission: $5. Children 12 and under free.
Parking: Free (shuttles available throughout the grounds).
The Hill (Official Tailgate Lot): Located adjacent to the Keene Barn & Entertainment Center. Enter Gate 1 across from Man o’ War Boulevard or via Gates 4 and 5 off Van Meter Road.
Simulcasting: Major Thoroughbred tracks in the U.S.
Social Media Channels: Follow us at @keenelandracing for news, information, real-time Paddock updates and expert picks; Keeneland is on Facebook (Facebook.com/Keeneland), YouTube (Keenelandfan), Instagram Instagram.com/keeneland), Snapchat (Keenelandracing) and Periscope (@keenelandracing).