LEXINGTON, KY (Sept. 6, 2013) – Keeneland’s 2013 September Yearling Sale, the world’s largest and most important Thoroughbred auction, begins Monday, September 9.
The 12-day sale, which runs through Saturday, September 21, has been reformatted to reflect three distinct market segments – week 1, the weekend, and week 2 – in an effort to better meet the current needs of consignors and buyers.
The 2013 format will be as follows:
Week 1 (Book 1) – Monday-Thursday, September 9-12; sessions begin at 12 p.m. ET daily. The premier Book 1 catalog will span the entire opening week with a total of 875 yearlings cataloged alphabetically by dam over the four-day period.
Friday, September 13 – The traditional “dark day;” no sale will be conducted.
Weekend (Book 2) – Saturday-Sunday, September 14-15; sessions begin at 10 a.m.
Week 2 (Books 3-5) – Monday–Saturday, September 16-21; sessions begin at 10 a.m.
Globally acknowledged as the world’s premier Thoroughbred auction house, Keeneland has sold more champions and stakes winners than any other sales company. Nine of the past 12 Triple Crown races have been won by September Sale graduates – Lookin At Lucky, Drosselmeyer, Animal Kingdom, Shackleford, Ruler On Ice, I’ll Have Another, Oxbow and Palace Malice.
Oxbow and Palace Malice recorded classic wins in the 2013 Preakness and Belmont, respectively, and the momentum continued throughout the summer racing season, which saw September Sale graduates account for 15 Grade/Group 1 stakes – Capo Bastone (King’s Bishop Stakes), Elusive Kate (Ethihad Airways Falmouth Stakes and Prix Rothschild), Game On Dude (Hollywood Gold Cup and TVG Pacific Classic), Justin Phillip (Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap), Lady of Fifty (Clement L. Hirsch Stakes), No Nay Never (Darley Prix Morny), She’s a Tiger (Del Mar Debutante), Starship Truffles (Princess Rooney Handicap), Strong Mandate (Hopeful Stakes), Sweet Lulu (Test Stakes), Sweet Reason (Spinaway Stakes), Verrazano (William Hill Haskell Invitational), Will Take Charge (Travers Stakes).
To date in 2013, 91 September Sale graduates have won graded or group stakes, including 29 Grade/Group 1 stakes winners.
“The September Sale is the one sale that shapes the sport,” said Keeneland Vice President of Sales Walt Robertson. “This auction is unparalleled in terms of assembling such an extraordinary collection of beautifully bred, athletic individuals. These horses make history.”
Yearlings representing 239 of the world’s leading sires have been cataloged, among them being Arch, Awesome Again, Curlin, Distorted Humor, Duke of Marmalade (IRE), Dynaformer, Elusive Quality, Fastnet Rock (AUS), Galileo (IRE), Ghostzapper, Giant’s Causeway, Hard Spun, Harlan’s Holiday, Henrythenavigator, High Chaparral (IRE), Iffraaj (GB), Indian Charlie, Invincible Spirit (IRE), Kitten’s Joy, Lemon Drop Kid, Majestic Warrior, Malibu Moon, Medaglia d’Oro, Midnight Lute, More Than Ready, Pulpit, Raven’s Pass, Scat Daddy, Sea The Stars (IRE), Sky Mesa, Speightstown, Stormy Atlantic, Street Cry (IRE), Street Sense, Tale of the Cat, Tapit, Tiznow, Unbridled’s Song, and War Front.
Also cataloged are yearlings by such exciting freshman stallions as Blame, Desert Party, Discreetly Mine, Eskendereya, Lookin At Lucky, Majesticperfection, Makfi (GB), Munnings, Quality Road, Super Saver, Tale of Ekati and Warrior’s Reward.
Racing fans can follow the September Sale news via Facebook and Twitter. Keeneland will provide a live stream of the sale on its website, www.keeneland.com, which also will feature barn notes, session updates and press releases.
Keeneland provides a number of innovative tools that offer convenience, facilitate the sales process and deliver up-to-the-minute information to our clients and the media.
· Keeneland Pedigree offers expansive online catalog pages for horses listed in Book 1, featuring links to race records, charts and race replays, and free daily updates.
· The Consignor Portfolio enables clients to manage their consignment information online with the ability to update all contact and account information; submit and track paperwork; receive alerts about horses before, during and after sale; and print account summaries and statements on demand.
· Keeneland Portfolio allows buyers to maximize valuable information about horses cataloged and sold at Keeneland. This tool assists with managing and updating personal account information; creating “short lists” of horses for each sale and establishing alerts for those horses; and accessing current and historical account and sale information.
· The Equineline Sales Catalog app for the iPad can be downloaded free from the App Store on iPad or at iTunes. This unique app loads sales catalogs to an iPad and enables users to highlight catalog pages in color; assign ratings; make conformation notes; record veterinary information; create “short lists;” and perform various catalog searches. The app now provides catalog updates.
· Keeneland website at www.Keeneland.com has a stakes-winning sales graduates list that can be sorted and downloaded for ease of use.